The covid 19 was / is a global catastophe. The world has never been affected by any single event as with this. Never heard of the lockdowns before the spread of this chinese virus. It has shaken the world completely. But as they say, every event has something good too. So is true with Covid 19. Looking back on lockdown and other events during last year, I find the situation created by Covid 19 was a great learning opportunity.
My lessons learnt frpm the pandemic: –
- Let’s take care of nature – Nature can throw surprises and can bring the scientists back to the basics despite gaining so much scientific knowledge. As in this case, a completely unkown virus has pushed the scientists to extend their limits, which they did by finding out the vaccine so soon. Human spirit to live is stronger than the Wuhan virus spirit to kill. We have tried to subjugate nature by using technology. Nature can not be won over this way. The only way to live happily ever after is to coexist lovingly with nature.
- Austere living is beautiful– During lock down, we have learnt to live with minimum of things. Necessities of life are very few. Many things make life full of clutter. To live a happy and contended life, we need very few things to fulfill our basic requirments.
- Be humble – Life is unpredictable. No one can have complete control over it. Not even the mightiest of the rulers. The economical progress of the world can be halted by a small virus.
- Let’s make health a priority – During Covid, the most popular Google search was to know the ways to increase immunity. How to live a healthy life. Every culture was exploring the age old knowledge of a healthy living. Survival is the topmost priority for everyone. No one wants to die. Online yoga and exercise classes have become so popular as these were seen as a way of maintaining health while indoors. To enjoy life, good health is mendatory.
- Flexibility is great virtue – Lock down has forced people to change their old habits. Though it’s said that old habits die hard. People who used to say that they cant sleep without an after dinner walk were seeing having a sound sleep without a walk. Tobaco chewers have to live without it. Big time shoppers had to stop shopping from showrooms. Wanderes have been forced to stay at home.
- Freedom is happiness: Preserve it – Lockdown has curtailed our freedom. We were forced to leave the freedom to move around and on our own will. It was suffocating. When we were given permission to go out , it was such a big relief albiet with conditions of masking and social distancing. Even with these conditions, the difference was apparent.
- Innovations and adaptation helps evolve from any situation – Digital adoption became so fast during the lockdown. In the first few days, there was a flood of invites for webinars, facebook live etc. It was a way to get connected with a vengeance. Working from home and online meetings and trainings have become a norm. Financial transactions and e-commerce came into prominence and made life easy. We may wonder, why we have not adpoted these earlier? Let us not wait for a calamity to bring innovations in our life. Let us be more open to changes.
- Success or failure depends on many factors – Nature has it’s own way to teach. During lockdown, some businesses ( like food and travel) which were considered lose proof were hit badly while some other thrived. No one can say that he can be successfull in any business. Extraneous factors play a great role. Ego has no place in life.
- Smart phones, internet connectivity has become basic necessity – Smart phones have become the life line, right for the small kid who needs to connect with her class or to any body else. Internet and smart phone have played a prominent role in keeping families and friends in touch. They have become a great tool for learning too.
- Being alive and living is important – The pandemic have taught all of us what it takes to be alive. It has taught us to be more humane. We have become more empathetic and concerned for people around us. During lockdown, most of the households have paid their home helps for the time they have not come to work. Family members have come closer. Living rooms are now used for living and not just to impress guests.
Photos are from internet. All credits to the photographer.