|Prestige Appam patra|
Last week, while scanning the news on Google news, I saw a news item from NDTV about weight loss in my personalized news items . I checked my weight and found that I have gained 4 kg in the last one and a half month while vacationing with my sister. Now, how does Google know of my weight when I am not using any of the smart watches or bands. 😁 I felt jittery 🙂
Though not a calorie conscious person but an exercise lover, this intervention from Google has changed me. Suddenly I have started googling for low calorie foods. I come across some some fried recipes made without oil in appam patra. Wow, so now no one can stop me from getting back to my lighter version. 😛
I ordered Prestige appam patra with 7 holes from apni dukan – Amazon. I tried three recipes and found all of them tasty minus the extra calories.
1. Add one measure of roasted rawa / sooji.
2. Add half a measure of sour curd.
3. Add finally diced onion, tomato, boiled beans, green coriander and green chilies.
4. Add a pinch of baking soda.
5.Mix well till batter is lumps free.
6. Brush all cavities of appam patra with oil / desi ghee. Heat it mildly.
7. Put a spoon full of batter in each cavity of appam patra, taking care that it does not overflow and remains a little below the level.
8. Cover and cook. Check in between.
9 Reverse when cooked. Cook on both sides.
10. serve hot with tomato sauce or green chutani or any other spicy chutani or as part of your main meal.
1. Soak and grind dhuli urad dal as you will do for regular vadas with saunf , ginger and garlic , green chillies or any other spice which you want to. You may add or delete any of these addendum as per your choice and special touch.
I like with saunf ( fennel) and ginger. The batter should be little thicker as compared to the one we use for frying.
2. Pour a spoon full of batter in the appam patra cavity and cook as explained earlier.
3. Take out when both sides are cooked .
4. Serve hot with sambhar as sambhar – vada.
5. Dip in cold salty water for 5 minutes. Place in a plate after squeezing lightly. Add slightly sweet and salty beaten curd enough to cover the vadas. Add red chillies, bhuna jeera, green coriander. Lo, the magical oil free with same wonderful taste Vadas are ready to eat.
6. I could not click pics as both my sons finish them so fast. 🙂
1. Make a thick , lump free batter of besan / chickpea flour with all the dry spices – salt, red chill, ginger-garlic paste, garam masala etc.
2. Mash boild potatoes and add salt to it. Also add finally chopped green coriander. No lumps may be left.
3. Make small balls from mashed potatoes and keep aside.
4. Dip potato balls in besan batter and put it in oiled cavities of appam patra.
5. Reverse and cook both sides well.
6. Take out and serve hot with green chutney, tomato sauce or khajur- tamarind chutney. I have used Fabsta chutnies, which I bought from Star Bazar. “Fabasta” is the brand owned by Star Bazar and one can find many variants of chutneys in the store. me and my family liked them a lot, thus freedom from making chutneys at home. Hurrey !! 😛
Happy cooking !!