Mangodi is made from moong (petite yellow) lentil. Usually dhuli moong daal (yellow lentil) is used, but I prefer moong chilka daal ( green lentil) as it has more fibers. I like this vegetable as it’s healthy and tasty. Being made from lentils, its full of proteins and since its not made as routine lentils. It may be served with boiled rice, naan, prantha or plain roti or may be eaten as it is with salad as accompaniment.
1. Soak green lentil in water for 3-4 hours.
5. Grind onion, garlic and ginger.
6. Heat oil for masala. Add jeera (cumin) seeds.
7. When jeera seeds splutter, add hing (asafoetida). Now add the onion, garlic ginger paste.
8. When the paste turns light brown, add haldi, salt and tomato paste.